Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Victoria ~ A Folding Travel Wheel by Louet


A couple weeks ago I blogged about taking the plunge and buying a new travel wheel. After much consideration I chose the Victoria by Louet. In case this pic is driving you crazy, it's made in Holland. I'm already a Louet owner, my main wheel being their S10 DT, so I felt confident that I would like the Victoria.

For a week I anticipated it's arrival. I checked the tracking and watched as it departed New York and made its way across the country. When it finally made it to my doorstep, I was having such a busy day, I had to set it aside. Each time I walked past the box, I longed to stop and open it, but I wanted to wait until I had enough time to savor the experience. Late that night I managed to take it out of the box and assemble the few pieces. It was so well packaged and I just love the carrying case. My husband teased me as I adjusted the backpack straps as though I were getting ready to trek off then and there with my new toy.





Here she is. Isn't she a cutie? ...Still, by that night, I was really too tired to take her for a spin. However, my sachet project that I started a couple days ago, gave me the perfect opportunity to try her out. I had two ounces of Corriedale dyed and ready to become a 2ply for me to use as ties for my sachets. It's just the sort of small task I needed to acquaint myself with this new wheel.

Let me tell you, it's a good thing I had a practice project because it took me some time to get used to the flyer driven, scotch tension wheel after my bobbin driven S10. I learned to spin on such a wheel, but it's been a long time. I was halfway through my second ounce before it began to feel comfortable again.










Here's a picture of my 2ply still on the niddy noddy. It's far from the best yarn I've ever produced, but it will do the job I require of it. On the right is an arial shot of the bobbin on the flyer. You see that slit in the middle of the bobbin? That must be a new design for Louet because the bobbins that came with my S10 a few years back had a lead attached.



I very much approve of this new way to attach a lead since within a week of purchasing my S10, my youngest son came along with a pair of scissors and cut the leads off my bobbins. (to him they looked like tags on new clothes that should be removed) I was very sad. So I doubt it was part of their consideration in the redesign, but these new bobbins are fabulously kid proof. Yea!

The picture on the right gives you a better look at the scotch tension. Once you get the hang of it, it gives you very nice control over your twist. And do you see that little leather strap sticking up off the main post? That's all you need to pick up this lightweight baby and carry her away.

1 comment:

Snowberry and Lime said...

yum, isn't she pretty. :)