Thursday, March 19, 2009

On My Wheel Today: Merino/Silk and Wensleydale



It wasn't easy, but I finally pulled myself away from Cafe Press. Too much fun, but now I'm back to what I love the most, spin spin spinning!

Here are the two fibers I'm working with. The Golden Brown is a Merino/Tussah Silk (80/20) blend and that brilliant Poppy color is Wensleydale. I bought the Wensleydale at the SW Fiber Festival last year, and I've just been waiting for and idea






to strike. The color is so awesome and that curl is to die for. I wanted to think of a yarn that would really show it off!

A couple weeks ago I was doing a custom dye job and I had a batch of brown come out a little uneven. I'm pretty particular about what goes in my shop and out to my customers, so I adopt all of the misfit roving. Personally, I don't mind a little variation in color. To me that just makes






it more interesting. So here was this beautiful new orphan yarn, so soft, just needing a place in this mixed up crazy world. Then I remembered my Poppy Wensleydale. Before I even put them together, I knew the match would work. I'm still just on my first ply, but I twisted some of the poppy up with the Golden Brown so you could see them together. Nice, yes?

So I'm going to make a 2ply of the Merino/Silk and work in the Wensleydale as I'm plying allowing the ends to be a little free to really show off that curl. I want that gorgeous Poppy color to pop!

2 comments:

Jags said...

so pretty! I love misfit rovings, if you end up with too many I'd buy them if I wasn't so broke lol

it is always interesting to see how they work out too

agoodwitchtoo said...

Oooh! I love it! Soon I will be playing with some fiber myself :) You remember....? LOL.