Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Emerald Green Merino/Silk ~ Just in time for St. Patty's Day!


Here's the first of the four shades of Merino/Silk (50/50) that I dyed yesterday. I knew I wanted to make an Emerald, partly because of St. Patrick's Day and partly because I knew Emerald would look great in this fiber. Of all the greens out there, Emerald is one where you can really detect the other colors working in the green. If you take a close look, you can see the yellow and blue coming through. I knew it would show nicely in this blend because of the way the two fibers absorb color. The wool really shows off one aspect of the green, while the Tussah Silk shows another. I love colors like this one that are anything but flat. They're so much more interesting to the eye.






I talked a lot about my Royal Turquoise yesterday, so here's the close-up I promised. I wasn't kidding when I said "close-up"! LOL! I know this is crazy close, but I want you to be able to get a good look at the silk mixed in with the wool. It's so pretty especially after it's dyed. The silk gets a little kink or curl and it adds a nice feel to the fiber. As a spinner, I love a fiber that is super soft, but still has a little texture to it. I hope the picture allows you to also see the wonderful shine that the silk adds. So pretty!









There were two other colors created yesterday as well. The yellow was dyed with Gold Ochre, but this fiber blend took the color so differently that I've decided to change the name. To me this color looks more like Daffodil, so that's it's new name. On the right is Gypsy Wine. This has to be one of my all time favorite colors and the funny thing is, I created it by accident. I was doing a custom dye job for someone and utterly failed in my first attempt at their chosen color, but this gorgeous wine was the result of my blunder. Best mistake I ever made!

I'll be listing these over at Wind Rose today and when I'm done I'll come back and give you the links. Have a great day. Eat, drink and live GREEN!


No comments: