Saturday, August 16, 2008

Felted Hair Clip - Free Crochet Pattern

So my husband told me this morning that I've been promoting my etsy store too much in my blog. It's true, when I don't have a lot of time to write, I tend to highlight my recent creations. So today I thought I'd share a Wind Rose original pattern (no pressure to hit the link :+). This is a quick and easy design and can look different every time by changing the yarn and beads you choose. I've made some from handspun yarn that were just beautiful. I do have a few different colors in my shop right now if you want to see a few more pics, but for the purpose of this pattern, I've chosen the natural one with dark wooden beads. It's one of my favorites and I think the simplicity of it lends to its appeal.



Felted Hair Clip

yarn - 50 feet of 100% wool
hook - size J

ch 17 leaving a 12 inch tail.
Row 1: 3 sc in 2nd st from hook. Sc in next 14 chains. 5 sc in final chain. Sc in the other side of next 14 chains. 2 sc in same chain as beginning 3 sc. Join with sl st to 1st sc. Ch 2
Row 2: 2 hdc in same st as joining. 3 hdc in each of next 2 sts. 2 hdc in each of next 14 sts. 3 hdc in each of next 5 sts. 2 hdc in each of next 14 sts on the other side. 3 hdc in each of last 2 sts. Join with sl st to top of beginning ch 2. Ch 1
Row 3: sc in same st and in each st around. Join with sl st to 1st sc skipping beg ch 1. Finish off securing tail with a sewing knot on the back side of the piece and weaving in the tail. Trim excess.

Making the pleats.
Thread a darning needle with the beginning 12”tail. Sewing from the back side, use a running stitch down the center of the beginning chain four at a time(in out, in out) pulling each st as you go to create the pleated affect. Knot and weave in remaining tail.

Felting.
Fill a large bowl or a sink with water as hot as you can tolerate. Submerge your piece until it is wet through and then use dish or hand soap and lather it up. Rinse off by agitating it in the water. Continue to soap and rinse until it becomes the size you desire. While wet it can be molded and shaped to your liking. Blot dry without creasing the fibers.

When piece is completely dry, embellish with beads and hot glue to a hair clip.

I hope you enjoy this pattern. If you have any questions along the way, I'm happy to help!

1 comment:

Clotilde M. said...

That's pretty! Thanks for sharing!