Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dyeing the Perfect Shade of Orange Merino Roving

That's the goal anyway.  I'm dyeing merino this week and I always announce when I'm dyeing that I'll take color requests.  I actually love it when people take me up on it.  It never fails that when I start playing around trying to create a new shade, I stumble onto wonderful new colors.  I'll often dye 3 or 4 batches ( I dye 4oz at a time ) tweaking as I go; a little more of this, a little less of that.  The crazy part is that I never really know if I've met success because people tend to perceive color very differently.  All I can do is try and hope that I make something that my customer will love.  The great part is, there is no such thing as failure.  At least not if you're like me and just love color.  As I go, I always keep a dye journal so that when a new color is particularly appealing, I can recreate it whenever I want.  They become my own secret recipes.  What could be more fun than that?

P.S. 
I'll take some pictures of today's oranges and share them tomorrow.  

No comments: