Friday, August 1, 2008

I Love Soy Silk!


It was not love at first sight, but after spending more and more time working with Soy Silk, I've fallen in love with this fiber!  The first time I dyed soy silk, I nervously watched as the fiber sort of piled together in the dye pot.  Then I started to stir to make sure the dye made it's way throughout.  At that point, it started to look more like a tangled mess.  I was even more convinced of the mess theory when the soy silk came out of the dye pot looking like a wet lump.  "What have I done?" I wondered.  Still, not one to give up, I laid it out in the sun to dry.  As it did so, I started to work with it; teasing it back out into a nice length of roving.  When it became fully dry, I worked through the fiber one more time and it seemed to transform in front of my eyes!  It became lofty and unspeakably soft.  Even more impressive was the beautiful shine of the silk.  Over time, I have refined my dyeing methods for soy silk.  It definitely has its own personality and therefore wants to be treated a certain way.  The things we do for love!

No comments: