Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Baby Cozy - A New Crocheted Design with Newborns in Mind




The pictures above are of the prototype of my latest design for newborn babies. I've had babies on my mind lately because I'm about to be an Aunt again this fall. I've been thinking about the first days and weeks of a baby's life and in particular the way the nurses take new parents aside and show them how to wrap up their baby nice and snug in their blanket. The nurse with our first born called this the baby burrito wrap. So the baby burrito was my first influence. The second part of my inspiration comes from an old neighbor and current friend. She's a few years younger and though I barely put my babies down their first year, she had a more thought out philosophy of 9 months in and 9 months out. This translated in her wearing her baby on her belly in a wonderful carrier she made herself. I never saw her without her baby on her belly. As her babies got closer to a year in age, my back ached just looking at the big, healthy baby strapped to her middle.

I have to say, I'm not sure I could have committed to having my babies tied to me for the first nine months, but I do like the idea of a newborn feeling snug and secure the way they felt in the womb. I started to picture a baby blanket that was like a ready made baby wrap. From there the Baby Cozy was created. It has a built in pocket for the baby to be tucked in and then two flaps that cross over and tie. The flaps have been shaped at angles to gently frame the baby's face and for added warmth. The angles also allow the different colors to show through which is mostly an aesthetic element of the design. I debated in my mind for some time about whether or not to have some kind of button or tie. I decided it should have some kind of closure so I went with the tie rather than a button which could be a choking hazard.

So this one is just the prototype. I think it's actually a little small. The next step will be to add a few inches in the length and a couple in the width. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good about the design. Within a couple weeks, I should have one or two at Wind Rose for sale. I'd love to hear feedback from the new mom's or mommies-to-be. Is this a product that appeals to you? Do you have sizing suggestions? I hope overall you like the Baby Cozy. Now I just need a baby to try it out!

No comments: