Sunday, September 7, 2008

Just Joined Ravelry!

I just joined Ravelry today. I learned about the site through podcasts about knitting and crochet. It seemed like the guest designer or the podcaster always said they could be reached through Ravelry. After waiting four days, I was excited to get my invite to join.

I have to say, I'm feeling a little discouraged. I had a terrible time getting it to upload my profile pic. I had to ask my husband for help who only succeeded after changing the format to something I've never heard of before. I'm not exactly brand new to formatting and loading pictures, so that was frustrating. Next I joined a group and tried to share a picture of one of my novelty yarns. I used a url from my Flickr photostream thinking that a lot of people must use their Flickr pics. It didn't work.

So now I'm taking a break. I have to be in the right mood to puzzle my way through. Words of wisdom or encouragement would be very welcome. There are tons of Ravelry members who seem very happy, so I'm sure I'll figure it out. It seems like a really fun place to share designs and work on projects with other people.

2 comments:

Mary-Heather said...

Hi, I'm Mary-Heather, and I help run Ravelry with Jess and Casey! Thanks for signing up! :) Sorry you are feeling discouraged - it's definitely a big site, with lots to do.

Have you found some of our help resources? If you click on the "help" tab up at the top, you will see a list of helpful groups:

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/sets/help

The "Help!" group right at the top and the "Techno Help" group at the bottom will lead you to groups that have lots of volunteer users who are used to answering all the questions you are having right now. :) Just start a new topic in the forums with whatever question you have, and other users will help you through it!

There is also a Ravelry Wiki with lots of helpful info that is linked right from the front page (once you are logged in).

From the Help tab, if you search for any topic (for example, posting photos in forums), you'll get search results from the Help group, the Ravelry Wiki, and This Week in Ravelry, our weekly newsletter.

We were all new to Ravelry once! Please don't be shy about asking questions and getting help on the site. :) Users are always helping each other out, and you'll get the hang of things in no time!

Welcome!

Jenn said...

Thanks Mary-Heather. I've just spent the last hour and a half playing around with Ralvelry, getting to know it better. I managed to list a project and get the photos from Flickr, so I'm feeling good about that. I have definitely been reading the help section! I'll have to start asking questions in the forums. I wanted to share some of my handspun yarn, but I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess that will be my first forum question.

Thanks for your comment. I guess I've always been a little impatient when it comes to learning new things. I want to know everything right away! LOL!