Friday, September 5, 2008

Crocheted Headband



I confess I don't have a lot on my mind today so I thought I'd play a little show and tell. In my store and at craft shows, I call this design Megan's headband. I started making these five years ago when my youngest was in preschool. Wow! I can't believe it's been five years! Anyway, there was a sweet little girl in his class named Megan and her mother and I would chat as we waited with our cars lined up to collect our children. We sort of slowing got to know each other as we mothers often do, standing and watching our little ones on the playground at the end of their school day. I usually had my latest project with me, so as we talked, I'd crochet.

One day the kids came bouncing out of the door and I noticed Megan had a really pretty headband. I asked if I could take a closer look. As I suspected it had been crocheted. The next day, her mom brought the headband for me to borrow. It was not one of those patterns where you could easily see how it was done. It was hard to tell where the fiber began and ended. I also decided that I didn't like the way they had covered the headband. it was loose and looked like it would not hold up well over time. So I changed the headband wrap and figured out how the lace on the back was done. Then, of course, because I can't leave anything well enough alone, I tweaked that a bit too.

So the headband you see before you is the result. I named it for the little girl who inspired it and she was tickled to have her name become famous. I showed her the signage I made for the craft shows I used to do. Also, she and her mom and sister and brother all became crochet students of mine and now they are so talented they make their own headbands and much more.

I've sold a lot of these at craft shows. They sell more slowly over the internet. I think it's harder when you can't see things in person and try them on. I've sold them to girls and women of all ages and made them from all kinds of yarn. I like them best made from ribbon, but I've made one's with furry headbands and ones that sparkle and even ones from just natural cotton. From the front view they just look like a normal head band, but from the back they are so pretty. They also do a great job of keeping your hair out of your face.

So I'm kind of throwing some of my designs out there lately. The ones that are well received will become the patterns I share, so let me know when I hit upon something you like. Have a great day!

No comments: