Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Art and Artists - Still More Shopping at the Southwest Fiber Festival

I wish I could tell you about all of the vendors at the Southwest Fiber Festival. By making it a family outing, I numbered my minutes. I would like to encourage you to look through the list of vendors many of whom have websites. I'm only scratching the surface of the talent offered.

Today I'm pleased to introduce you to Spirited Hands Studio and the mother/daughter team of Susan A. Thompson and Sally Ann Hall. The two share over 25 years of experience and offer workshops through their studio in Tucson, Arizona. If you go to their website and click on the workshops link, you'll see the charming felted apparel for children that they will be teaching this coming January.



I have to apologize for not having more close-ups of their work. As you can see by the picture I do have, their tent was very busy. There were also photographers from the local paper there and I was trying to stay out of their way. I need a press pass! I do have a nice photo of the Felted pendant necklace that I bought for myself. I love the colors and the whimsical way it snakes around. In addition to these necklaces, they displayed purses, children's clothes, vases, and the most incredible felted flowers you've ever seen. You can see more of their work by using the links I've provided for their studio and their individual websites.

I'll be back later today to share the stunning Nuno Felt designs of Pump House Studio. This will lead into a series of posts I'll be making on the art of Nuno Felting. I have Etsy Artists lined up and so much beautiful work to show you. And then I'll be giving Nuno Felting a try. See you soon!

2 comments:

Shalana, the funky felter said...

wow, you really shopped until you dropped at the festival! I envy that you were able to attend a fiber festival. All of our local area festivals that I normally attend in Iowa and Nebraska were canceled this year due to the flooding there this Spring and Summer. I long to go to a good fiber festival. They really are the best place to buy fiber because you can see its vivid color in person and touch it. I like buying online too, but you can't touch it - bummer :)

Jenn said...

That's so sad that your festivals got flooded out! I know what you mean about touch. I've spent hours perfecting my photography skills, but it's just no substitute for getting to see a color in person or feeling a fiber for yourself! At my Etsy shop, I'm always happy to put a sample in an envelope so people can "try before they buy". Festivals are the best though. All of those vendors in one place. It's a treat for the senses!