Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Freeform Peyote Stitch Bracelet


This past weekend I spent time with my side passion. I don't know. It feels strange calling it that. Somehow, bead weaving really feels part and parcel to fiber arts. I feel drawn to beading in the same way as I feel drawn to spinning and weaving. For a long time now I have incorporated the two.

I have decided to devote myself to perfecting my technique. I can't begin to tell you how challenging it is for me to follow or be a student. I am the woman and shuns pattern and direction and goes her own way. Still, discipline is important when studying art, so I am trying to temper myself enough to learn.

This is not the first woven bracelet I've ever made, but it's the first one I plan to sell. The structure is very sound the the quality of work is up to my standards. It is the basic Peyote stitch done in a slightly freeform style. I thought it only fitting that I position it on a length of Merino roving; my two passions in harmony.

These bracelets look so pretty on the wrist. The play of texture, color and the sparkle along with the matte finish have a way of luring your eyes in. They can't decide where to focus first. The more you look, the more you notice detail. I like that. Also, the use of multiple colors makes it go with so many outfits. I made one for myself in purples, pinks, blues and silver. Every day I get dressed and I hold the bracelet up surprised by how well it goes with so much of my wardrobe.

The last thing I'm going to highlight is that the toggle is also a hand woven bead and securely strung into the main piece. The opposite end has a loop offset by two silver flowers. Now this is just a personal taste thing, but I'm always a little sad when I see a pretty beaded bracelet with a generic button sewn on as a closure. Why take all the time to weave the bracelet and then finish it so plainly? By creating a matching beaded toggle, the fastening becomes part of the overall bracelet. It's another element of interest. You know what I mean?


OK, so that sounded a little snooty for a beginner. Trust me, I am hopelessly humbled when I look at serious works of freeform bead weaving. I know I have a long way to go! I am enjoying what I see at only the launch of my voyage.

So this is the result of my weekend. I just thought I'd share it with you. I think what I find almost the most challenging is photographing jewelry. They just seem to lose so much through a camera lens. You can't appreciate the movement or the drape or the way the light interacts. I guess that is where imagination must fill in the missing spaces.

No comments: