Sunday, April 18, 2010

Inspired by Rebecca Smith!


Yesterday afternoon I drove down to the Fibers Through Time Conference in Phoenix. I was visiting with a few people and I wanted to see the vendors.

It was a fiber lovers paradise at the Crown Plaza Hotel! There's no other way to put it. Two large spaces were filled with roving, yarn, sundries and tools of every sort. Armed with my checkbook, I bravely went forth to do battle against my wants and needs.

OK, truth be told, I don't really need anything. I have a studio full of fiber, yarn, dye and all sorts of fun toys to go with them. I guess the battle was more between wants and good conscience. I like to treat myself while maintaining a certain amount of control. Of the vendors, the one that really drew me in was Rebecca Smith. I loved her fiber art jewelry! This is a pair of earrings that came home with me. She had a nice selection of loose beads, earrings, necklaces and bracelets all made from this same technique. I would have loved to have met her, but she was busy giving a workshop at the conference.


So today, instead of writing the pattern for my Single Sided Miser's Purse like I planned, I got completely sidetracked. I spent the late morning into the early afternoon making this Rebecca Smith inspired bracelet. This is coiled wire wrapped with hand painted merino roving. I added small glass beads as I wire wrapped the long bead of roving. Then I finished it off with three Swarovski crystal pearls on each side and a pretty silver hook closure.

I had such a good time making this piece. If you happen to be a female member of my family, be warned! You will probably be seeing this design on your birthday or come Christmas! So thank you Rebecca Smith for inspiring me today! I can only imagine what would happen to me if I actually took one of your classes. I'm sure I'd be a jewelry making maniac!

If you happen to be one of the people to whom I promised I'd be writing the Miser's Purse pattern this weekend, I apologize for the delay. It might be more mid to late week rather than the beginning of this week. It's not my fault. You just can't fight inspiration!

2 comments:

Zzz said...

You are SO right about the inspiration :). The bracelet is beautiful.

Jenn said...

Thank you so much! You made my day!