Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hand Painted Kid Mohair ~ It's Here!


As promised, I'm back today with pictures of my three new hand painted rovings. This is Kid Mohair so it's very soft and full of shine. I only have one of each of these, so if you love it, you might just want to go for it!




This first one I'm calling Flower Petals. It's a vibrant blend of red, yellow and pink. I blended the red and yellow to create some orange hues as well. These colors make me think of tulips and early spring flowers.



This next colorway is called Mystic Meadow. I've painted these colors before in Merino and they were so well received that I decided to make a version in the Kid Mohair. It's a blend of spruce, violet and kelly green. The violet adds a bit of unexpected magic to these earthy greens.



This is my favorite roving from the dyeing I did yesterday. The colors are so rich and gorgeous. I named this colorway Caspian Sea. These jewel tones make me think of royalty, which made me think of Prince Caspian from the Chronicles of Narnia. The beautiful sapphire blue inspired the "sea". I'm sure the real Caspian Sea isn't sparkling violet and sapphire, but you've entered my fantasy world. Welcome!



Oh, and I can't forget the mohair locks. I liked the Sapphire and Violet so much in the roving, that I had to use it for the locks too. To make it interesting and add even more dimension, I varied the intensity of the colors from deep to very light.

To make the Silver and Black Locks, I used black dye, but I was going for a silver, smokey vibe so there is more of a suggestion of black. Once again, I was going for depth, but I love those silver highlights.

No comments: