Friday, March 5, 2010

All That's Left of Me...


That's it. The sad remains of this fiber loving woman after two days of taxes and accounting.

OK, Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but number crunching brings it out in me. Honestly, it's more of a celebratory mood that brings me back to you after a 48 hour absence. I am finished!!!

This year I kind of brought the pain on myself. Getting my numbers together to pay my taxes didn't really take that long, but every year, I try to make Wind Rose Fiber Studio better. Part of that goal applies to how I run my business. I want to be the most organized, best run little studio I can be.

To achieve this, at least in part, I finally gave up my old school accounting and moved my 2010 numbers to nice spreadsheets on the computer. I made my own template and then spent most of my time transferring all of my info from Jan 1 to now. I'm itemized, all of my income and expenses are lined up neatly in rows with pretty little totals ready at the click of a button.

I know, I know. The likely and resounding response to this has to be "What took you so long?" I don't have a good excuse. I am kind of phobic when it comes to forms and little boxes, but I'm also a grown-up so I shouldn't be hiding behind my odd idiosyncrasies. I just have my own timetable for doing things, but don't we all?

2 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

I hate taxes . . . I'm like a bear with a sore head until they're done and out of the way. Thankfully my husband is great at navigating us through it all. Congrats on getting them done and for organizing your system in the process.

Jenn said...

Thanks Dyche Designs! Accounting, and more specifically taxes, can feel like the exact opposite of creativity. Artistic people should get to report their earnings through interpretive dance, collage, sculpture or maybe poetry. Whatever is an appropriate expression of their work! :D