Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Baby's Bib ~ A Vintage Reproduction From 1885 ~ Part III


While I've been waiting on the cotton I plan to use for my last work through of this project, I decided to go ahead and put trim on my prototype. I have a facebook friend who said she had trouble visualizing how this could actually be a bib, so I've also taken some additional pictures.

I'm sad that I don't have any friends with one year olds, because that is about the size I'm going for. It would be nice to try it on a real baby, but I think the bib should work for children 1-3 years of age. The only thing that might limit the size is the armholes. After people make this pattern for the first time, it will be easy enough for them to add additional rows to the straps if they need larger openings for the arms.






Let me walk you through the pictures:

In the upper left, I have just untied the bows so you can see how they become the ties for the bib. I have changed the design of the original pattern from ornamental silk or satin shoulder ribbons to ones that have a more practical purpose. However, it would be quite easy to slip a length of ribbon under a couple of stitches at each shoulder and tie pretty bows. This could be quite sweet on a Christmas version or a special occasion bib.

In the upper right hand corner I have the ties tied as if the bib were being worn. The front would then show the scalloped edging around the neckline and the trim. I need you to use your imagination to fill in an adorable baby. For a moment I thought I might sketch one on the paper I'm using as a photo background, but I thought it might turn out a little creepy. *giggle*

In the lower left corner is what the back side looks like with the bib fastened. I think this picture in particular helps to illustrate the bib the best perhaps. You can see how it will tie and how the straps will wrap around.

The lower right hand corner is the front view again. It's basically a flat version of the tied bib.

I guess that's all for today. I now have some very pretty sport weight cotton from Debbie Bliss that I plan to use to make my final bib. It won't be long before I'll be able to add this pattern to my very small collection. (Right now it's a collection of one.) See you soon!

No comments: