Friday, June 26, 2009

Jacob Swirl Roving ~ My Idea of Fiber Heaven!


Here it is. My idea of fiber heaven! This is Jacob roving milled to perfection! Jacob sheep are a rare breed with beautiful spotted coats. They grow up to six horns and have been around for some 3000 years. They are almost mythical in appearance, but wonderfully real. I discovered their fleece the first year I became a spinner and it has been my favorite ever since.

Why do I love it so much? Well, first of all, it's great to spin. As a beginner, this fiber really helped me get a feel for drafting. It is soft next to the skin, but it has incredible crimp which makes it so nice to handle. The results you get are different every time. It is exciting to watch it grow on the spool in tweed-like and striping effects.

Secondly, it gives you so much versatility. It felts like a dream whether you employ a wet or needle felting technique. With the natural range of colors, it can be almost like buying three wools in one. It blends remarkably well with other fibers and can be the foundation for spectacular roving batts.





Don't blend it too much though or you'll break my heart. I searched high and low for a farm that mills their Jacob fleece without separating or over blending the colors. This Jacob is not easy to come by, but I am so grateful to have discovered Sweetgrass Farm that celebrates the natural beauty of this rare breed!

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

They do look they are something out of a fairy tale!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to get mine!
I promise to not over blend it! (well I'll try, but I'm still new at spinning)