Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How To Make Your Own Gift Boxes


Hello all. Just thought I'd share my latest packaging idea. For my fellow crafters and for anyone who likes to give small gifts, this is a great little box that you can really personalize. This design is pretty simple, but you could have a lot of fun by adding more color or artwork.

It's a matchbox style box using basic printer paper for the inside (the green box) and cardstock for the outside (the white) The cardstock helps to make it more sturdy.









To fold the green box, I took a regular sheet of printer paper, in this case green, and trimmed 2.5" off of the length. This leaves you with an 8.5" square. (A Fiskars paper trimmer with both a cutting and a scoring blade makes this project go really fast!) Then follow these handy dandy Origami Box Directions to fold your green paper into a neat little box. It's just the perfect size for jewelry and other small gifts.

To make the outside box, I take a sheet of cardstock quality printer paper. (white) It will be the standard 8.5" x 11". Cut it into 3" strips. If you are using a paper trimmer, change the blade to a scoring blade. If you don't have a trimmer, you can use a ruler and a butter knife to score your paper. Traveling down the length of your strip, score the paper at 3 1/8, 4 6/8, 7 7/8 and 9 1/2 inches. (If you are using a trimmer, it's easier to score the individual spaces; 3 1/8, 1 5/8, 3 1/8, 1 5/8 inches) Fold your paper at the score lines. You should have two approx. 3" sides and two approx. 1.5" sides and an extra flap. Use a little craft glue to affix the flap to the botton of your box.




Now your green box should slide right into your white box. I use some of the leftover paper to decorate the box. Since I don't have one of those perfect soft jewelry box squares to protect my gift, I use some poly-fil stuffing. It's the same kind of material and I can use as little or as much as I need. In the end, my gift is protected and packaged in a personal way that is sure to make the recipient feel special!