Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nuno Felt - On With The Show!

Hello everyone! I feel like we are forming a very nice gallery of nuno felt! It all began with the pieces from the Southwest Fiber Festival. Following that was Amysfunkyfibers and then Fullenstar Studio. After a couple days off where I busied myself with silly things like grocery shopping for my family and doing laundry, we are back on track. I have a wonderful artist for you today, so without further ado, on with the show!

If you're a regular at Etsy, you've probably seen the avatar of today's nuno felter. Meet Shalana Frisby, or as you may know her,
thefunkyfelter. Her shop at Etsy is a veritable showcase of what can be done with felt. I'm a little afraid to have given you the link. You may forget your in the middle of reading this post! Ok, go ahead and check it out, but then please come back. Today I'd like to show you some of her amazing nuno felt!


Shalana confides, "The nuno felting technique makes such a different variety of texture than traditional wet felting. Combining the silk and wool create a super soft array of bumps and valleys that is not only physically beautiful, but also soothing and comfortable next to the skin. I am always astonished at the unique individuality of each of my handmade nuno felted pieces. Every one has a personality and life of its own."

The Lavish Scarf in Blue-Purple, Maroon and Tan (left) "This scarf is approximately 50% merino wool and 50% silk. It measures approximately 60 inches long (1.5 meter) which is a very nice length for a couple of wraps around the neck or a front tie. Its main colors include a blue purple silk base with wool shades of blue purple, maroon, and light tan."






I had to show you this beauty! This scarf is called
Moss Whimsy and it comes with one of her stunning flower brooches.

"My nuno scarves are individually hand felted with the best quality wool and finest silk. They are made through the nuno or laminated felting technique which involves joining wool with a fabric base. Each scarf is truly unique in all its details. The combination of wool and silk make for a lightweight, comfortable scarf that is suitable for almost any time of year, but is also durable and warm. With the proper care, this scarf will last through many, many fashion seasons as a timeless classic. The matching flower brooch was created from fine wool through a combination of both ancient wet felting technique and modern needle felting."











Here's another scarf from Shalana's Lavish Collection in
Rusty Brown and Ecru.


This is one of my personal favorites. I love when the silk makes an appearance through the wool. When I look at this scarf, I feel like I'm seeing a combination of the delicate silk ruffles of the Victorians blended with the more casual, even distressed look of today. Of course, this is only my interpretation. I just think it has an "old meets new" quality. What do you think?









The Adorn Scarf in Dark Blue and Purple. This is one piece from Shalana's Adorn Scarf Collection. It's a 50/50 wool and silk scarf with an alluring silk fringe.

"It measures approximately 54 inches long (1.4 meters) including the fringe which is a very nice length for one wrap around the neck or a front tie. Its main colors include a dark blue-purple base with dark royal blue and some lighter blue tones."

This one looks so soft and delicate at the same time. That's another one of the tremendous qualities of nuno felt. It has this diaphanous air and yet it's actually quite durable.









One more. I have a terrible time cutting myself off, but I guess all posts have to come to and end.


Once again from the Lavish Line in a
Mixed Sage Green, "This scarf is approximately 50% merino wool and 50% silk. It measures approximately 39 inches long (1 meter) which is a very nice length for one wrap around the neck or a front tie. Its main colors include a variety of greens including some rusty brown, gold, and cream."








You can see more of Shalana Frisby's work by visiting her store
thefunkyfelter or drop by her wonderful blog The Funky Felter's News & Tips. I want to thank Shalana for sharing with us today. Your work is truly remarkable!

1 comment:

Shalana, the funky felter said...

I totally forgot to leave a comment to thank you! I thought that I had, but apparently not. Thanks so much for such a nice article. I'm honored to be included in your series on nuno felting.