Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Show & Tell from Asheville ~ Part III


I have two more pieces of show and tell from my trip to Asheville, NC. I love these beaded earrings. I have just enough beading experience to really appreciate the time that went into these. The shape is so pretty and they're not too heavy. I really want to try something like this myself so these will be my inspiration!

I've already introduced you to the artist. These were also made by Karen Tipton whose work can be found at the Woolworth Walk.




What would a vacation be without a fiber purchase? I don't know and I don't want to find out! LOL! To search for fun local fibers, I headed over to Home Crafts in the Historic Grove Arcade.

In some ways, Home Crafts resembles your typical fiber shop. It does however, seem to have a personality all its own. On this visit, I was greeted by handmade hats. There was easily over 100 of them, most were felted, but some knitted and crocheted. The colors and shapes were brilliant! Living in central Arizona, I don't have much use for a felted wool hat, but I couldn't help being taken in by them.

After my hat detour, I zig zagged my way to the back of the shop where I knew the local fibers were kept. I just love admiring the hanks of handspun yarn and I have to remind myself that I'm a spinner and don't really need to buy yarn. Instead, I turned my attention toward the fibers. That's where I found these kid mohair locks. The color is all natural and I'm charmed by the bits of brown and cream mixed in with the charcoal and lighter grey. It's so pretty and I will have to design a lock yarn to showcase that color and curl.

Do you ever fantasize about what kind of animals you would keep if you had a small ranch? I do this all the time. It's hard for me to narrow down, but I think there would probably be a breed of Leicester sheep and I thing I would need some Angora goats. It would be awesome to trim my own perfect locks from those remarkable animals. That's right, I'd be a happy hair stylist to the goat stars!

1 comment:

WonderWhyGal said...

Lovely...I will definately want to visit there someday.

Those mohair lock were beautiful too. As much as I love my alpaca, I always imagine that my girlfriends would each raise my favorite sheep so that we could blend and trade. It's a lovely fantasy.