Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Flower ~ My Sweet Amigurumi

Please allow me to introduce Happy Flower. Happy Flower is a character that began on paper. There was a time when my youngest didn't like to read very much. Being a young boy with impressive tenacity, he had determined that reading just was not for him. On the other hand, he was all about art and creativity. Always drawing and constructing, one day he made a life size mail box and taped it to the wall outside of his room. This gave his mother a great idea. This was the day Happy Flower was born.

Happy flower began writing letters to the young man. Her letters were always exploding with feeling and fun. Happy Flower loved to laugh and play and was curious about so many things. She wanted to be the little boy's best friend and know everything about him.

This is how my son grew to love reading every day and writing too. Of course he had to answer all of Happy Flower's questions! In addition to her colorful writing, Happy Flower signed all of her letters with her name and a drawing of herself. She became a special character in our lives.

Recently I was organizing some of my son's art and there were the letters to and from Happy Flower. I have loved Amigurumi for a while now and have wanted to make one of my own. I decided Happy Flower would make a very cute Amigurumi.

I spent all day designing Happy Flower. So I am pleased as I can be to share pictures.




She really looks like my drawing come to life. I plan to make a couple for Wind Rose Boutique and I think she would make an awesome Spirit Jump, but this first one goes to my son.



She's a little self conscious about being bald in back, but I assured her that you are all very nice! Happy Flower has beans in her stem so she can stand all by herself. I also made the flower petals with some curl so that you can position them in different ways.



Oops, there's a gust of wind! Hold on Happy Flower!



Thank you for letting me share Happy Flower with you today and her story. Maybe she will inspire some other young readers and their moms. Sometimes a little creativity goes a long way!

4 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Wow! That's incredible!

Waterrose said...

so adorable! and what a great story on teaching your son to read.

Meghann said...

That is just too adorable for words! The colors are fantastic also, great work!

Doris Sturm said...

What a creative way to help your son wanting to read...and the flower is lovely!