Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sparkling Firestar Samplers! They're Coming!

I'm starting off the new year with lots of new choices at Wind Rose Fiber Studio. This is a picture of a Firestar sampler I listed yesterday. It sold so fast I didn't have time to blog about it.

I have been planning to add Firestar to my inventory for a while, so there is no time like the present!

What is Firestar? It's a sparkling nylon fiber, created like roving with a generous (around 4") staple length. It can be spun on its own for a shimmering skein of yarn that would be stunning for warm weather garments. More commonly, it is used to add sparkle to projects. A little Firestar can go a long way. Simply tease loose the fibers and introduce them sparingly to your roving as you spin. The end result will be a skein of yarn full of lustrous shine. Firestar blends so well with other fibers. As a nylon, it will not wet felt, but I've added very small amounts to felting projects and it works right into whatever fibers I'm using. I have also blended it with wool for some of my needle felted creations.

So why am I getting you excited about Firestar when I've sold what's in this picture? I'll tell you why! I have a rainbow of Firestar colors drying right now and I'll be listing them by late tomorrow afternoon. I'll be making sampler packs similar to the one in this picture and also selling it in larger amounts in case there is just one color you want. I literally dyed all of the colors of the rainbow as well as silver and bronze. The silver was so striking I dyed four extra ounces in silver alone.

I'm so excited about finally getting Firestar in the shop! I hope you will love working with it as much as I do. I am such a fan, that I tend to put a little firestar in almost everything I spin. I'll leave you with some pictures of my own handspun that feature this beautiful sparkling fiber.

2 comments:

CT said...

Thanks for sharing. I will forward on to my friends. - CT

Jags said...

oooh I love sparklies! I'll have to watch for more samplers! I want a bunch of colors to play with