Thursday, October 21, 2010

Abstract Flower Coaster ~ Free Crochet Pattern!


This is a pattern that I designed years ago for a crochet class. It's a quick and easy project. I used it as a way to introduce my students to carrying other colors of yarn along as you crochet. It can also be used as a lesson in design and following a grid.

I've been using one of these coasters on my desk for over five years and it just occurred to me that it would be a nice pattern to share. The size is big enough for a mug or larger cup, and when it needs cleaning, you can just throw it in the wash.

Here's what you need:
Size H/8 (5.00mm) crochet hook
medium weight 100% cotton in three colors

Gauge: 1 single crochet per square
Color Key: N = natural, P = pink, Y = yellow



With N, ch 12
Row 1: sc in 2nd st from hook and in next 10 sts (11 sc), ch 1 turn
Row 2: (This will be the front side of your coaster. Be sure that all loose ends face the wrong side of coaster.) sc in next 4 sts, sc in next st changing to color P (
To change colors, insert hook into st, draw up a loop, yarn over with new color, draw through both loops on hook. You will always draw up the new color in the st before the new color begins.) Carry color N along as you sc in the next 2 sts with P changing back to N in the last part of the second st, continue on following the grid in this manner, at the end of row, ch 1 turn
Rows 3 - 11: Follow grid to create the abstract flower pattern, at the end of each row ch 1 turn
Finishing
With N, sc in next 10 sts, 3 sc in last st, work 9 sc evenly across side of coaster, 3 sc in 1st st of bottom row, sc in next 9 sts, 3 sc in last st of bottom row, work 9 sc evenly across last side, 2 sc in same st as first sc. Finish off weaving in all loose ends on the back side of the coaster.



The photo in the upper left hand corner shows color N being carried as color P is being worked.

As you can see, with a sheet of graph paper and a set of colored pencils, you can create all sorts of designs. This cute little coaster is a great place to start, but the applications are endless.

*note - Use a J or K hook to make your coaster even larger for those oversized mugs.
**note - You can customize and print your own free graph paper. I keep this link handy in my Favorites List on the left hand column of this blog.
***note - Sometimes I see cool graphic design and wonder, "How'd they do that?" The pattern grids for this design were created using Skitch.

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I should give this to my sister. Everyone in my family crochets except for me. I'm the only knitter.

She crochets blankets but doesn't read patterns. I would love for her to read patterns because there are some adorable crochet patterns that would be great for my Alpaca Yarn.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the web site for the graph paper. I have looked all over for something like this but couldn't find it. So, again, thanks for posting the site.

Lovely Linda

Peggy said...

I'll be teaching a crochet class this fall, too so this is a great pattern to use for that! Thanks!

Also, any advice on teaching is MUCH appreciated! I've always crocheted but never taught it-except to my two daughters.