Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Treasure Chest (3oz/56 handspun yards)


Last night I found myself in the mood to spin so into my studio went I. My studio becomes a completely unique space when I enter as a spinner. More often I'm a dyer going in to secure some ecru fiber. After a sale, I simply enter to gather the purchased ounces from the bins and bins of prepared fiber. But, when I enter as a spinner, it's the most fun.

My studio is a veritable wonderland of roving and locks. There are at least half a dozen breeds of sheep not to mention angora, camel and yak. There's soy silk, cultivated silk, tussah silk, bamboo and hemp. It's impossible not to feel like a kid in a candy store. What flavor am I in the mood for today?

I wanted to spin a bulky weight 2ply, so I was looking for some fiber that would make it interesting. I decided it was finally time to break into one of my goodie bags from my last trip to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. There is a vendor there who always has a couple bags full of crazy fiber. To be honest, I think it's her destash. She sorts her bits and pieces of leftover fiber into a couple color families that work and then just teases them out and mixes them up. The result is a grab bag full of mixed wool and Firestar and even some sari silk. Perhaps some spinners walk straight past these bags and go for the nice combed top, but not me. I love those wacky sacks of fiber. When I reach my hand in and draw out a fist full of color and sparkle, I feel like a pirate who just found treasure!

So that is the story behind my latest skein of handspun yarn, Treasure Chest. I'm sad that I only had three ounces to spin, but I love how it turned out. It's 56 yards of bulky weight treasure! I wish it could be more, but I know someone will find a great use for this yarn, maybe by combining it with another bulky weight skein. Maybe it will trim a scarf or become a quick and easy baby beanie. Who knows? That's for you to decide!

1 comment:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Nice yarn. Love the color combo.
Your studio sounds like a fun place to visit.