Thursday, December 17, 2009

Creekwood Ranch ~ Almost, but Not Quite


Here is another roving I painted yesterday. This is almost, but not quite what I was going for. My idea was to paint a roving to look like my neighborhood. I live in Arizona outside of Phoenix in a subdivision called Creekwood Ranch.

This roving is really close to what I wanted, but I need to tweak it a little before I post it in my shop. You might picture all earth tones when you think about Arizona, and they definitely are part of the color palette, but we have a lot of flowers too. Arizona is also obsessed with water. The parks and landscaped areas are almost ridiculously green.

So this is my neighborhood, Creekwood Ranch. It's reddish brown with shocks of bright green. We enjoy the brilliant orange of the Mexican Bird of Paradise, bushes covered in soft pink and periwinkle flowers and the yellow bloom of the Palo Verde in the Spring.

When you put all of the colors of my 'hood together, they're quite pretty. Color is one of the things I love about this place. There's so much of it; unexpected, unusual and uninhibited. I want to change my Creekwood Ranch Roving just a little. It needs more yellow and the purple isn't quite right. In the meantime, I'll have fun spinning these four ounces into a vibrant yarn.

No comments: