Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lapis Wrap ~ A Good Beginning


I'm off to a good start on my Lapis Wrap.  Of course I've already made things a little more complicated for myself by working in a different gauge.  My natural stitches must be quite a bit larger than the author's, but I have decided not to change hooks or yarn.  

I went back and forth on this decision.  I think that if I switched to a smaller hook, my double crochets would be smaller and closer together which would help the lace stand out.  I think it would probably be a little prettier than sticking with the H hook, but I chose the H hook anyway.  This will create a vest that is lighter and more open.  I can't help but favor breezier garments living where I do.  I'm thinking I'll go ahead and make this one with the larger gauge and then maybe I'll choose a lighter weight yarn and a smaller hook and make another to the pattern specifications.  


Basically, what this means is that I'll be doing more mental math as I crochet this Lapis Wrap.  I'll also be depending on the schematics to help me accurately place my armholes and work the front of the piece.  The pattern seems to be very well written, so I don't expect to have too much trouble.  I really like the "tulip" rows or lace.  They are very pretty and fun to crochet too.  I feel like I'm zooming right along! 

No comments: