Thursday, January 19, 2012

Miniature Japanese Garden ~ Show & Tell


Our Japanese garden is complete and on display in our family room.  This project was so much fun.  My son and I enjoyed making all of the elements and took extra joy in some of the smallest details.  We studied our stones and separated them into five categories based on shape.  These different shapes represent wood, metal, fire, earth and water.  We were also careful with our placement as we turned our stones into a retaining wall for our river.  

I'm glad I wasn't able to find a small bridge or stone lantern because it was more gratifying to make our own.  We used Crayola Model Magic which is my favorite clay for school projects.  It's so easy to mix the colors and it sticks to itself so you make individual shapes and fix them together.  We made small round rocks and stuck them together to form a stone bridge.  I used a glass tumbler to make a perfect arch.  My son made the stone lantern freehand style and it turned out so cute.  We even hid a little nesting bird in the moss.

I can't say enough about how much fun this was.  If you are looking for a rainy day activity or just some good, crafty entertainment, look no more!  We made a Japanese garden, but really you could design any little world of your choosing.  Oh, one last bit.  I used a 15 inch plastic tray for the base.  These are sold at Home Depot to put under planters for just around five dollars.  I used regular garden soil as my filler under the moss.  Okay, I think that's all the details you need to get started.  Anyway, thanks for letting me share.  Now, what was I crocheting again?





No comments: