Monday, December 27, 2010

Tatted Wall Art


One of the things I've been thinking about since I started tatting is wall art. Many of the tatted pendant and medallion designs remind me of metal sculptures. My goal has been to get good enough to make larger scale models of shapes I like and then hang them on the wall just like a piece of sculptural art.

This is a picture of my first one. The yarn I'm using is variegated, so the finished product has a two toned quality. I carried six strands at once to get the thickness I was after and I used my homemade, super-sized tatting needle. The finished piece measures 14 x 14 inches.

Although there are a couple things about this design that I want to tweak (there almost always are), this pattern is a new accomplishment for me as a tatter. I made this by simply looking at a tatted image. I didn't have any sort of written pattern to guide me. This is exciting because it means that my brain has learned how to translate what it sees into the stitches. I've become much better about knowing which side I should have facing, if I need to reverse my work, in what direction my chains will curve; that sort of thing. In short, I'm gaining the confidence to start a little designing of my own.

No comments: