Thursday, April 16, 2009

What To Make With Plarn


Yesterday I introduced you to plarn. Well last night I sat in front of the TV and made myself 100 yards of plarn. It actually went really fast. I took out my niddy noddy and calculator and figured out that one of my bags yielded right about 5 yards. After that the math was easy. Still, it was fun to wrap it all onto the niddy noddy when it was done and then transfer it to my swift and wind it into a ball.

While I was making my plarn, I started to think about what kinds of things might be good to make out of plarn. (there was nothing good on tv) I ended up with quite a few ideas, so I'm just going to post them all in list form. Here we go!

SOAP DISH
BATH TOYS LIKE DUCKIES
(USE LEFTOVER SCRAPS TO STUFF BATH TOYS)
RAIN GEAR FOR KIDS AND GROWN UPS
BEACH BAG
GROCERY TOTE
BOOK BAG
PLACEMATS
PICNIC TABLECLOTH
BASKETS
POOL TOYS
(SEE BATH TOYS)
BEACH BLANKET
SHOWER CURTAIN
COASTERS
CAT TOY
(CATS LOVE PLATIC BAGS!)
DOOR MAT OR SMALL RUG
(GREAT FOR UTILITY OR LAUNDRY ROOM)
BIG RUG
(WHY NOT? THINK BIG!)
PROTECTIVE CASE FOR TECHNOLOGY
(CELL PHONE, LAP TOP, iPOD)

I have a few other random thoughts that entered my head. (My head is a very scary place sometimes.) How about plying the plarn in a sense by interlocking several loops at once. Instead of one loop into one loop, hold 2 or more loops together. This will make the plarn thicker and stronger. I'd use 2 to make a stronger tote for the grocery store and anywhere from 3 to 5 for rug making.

Also, anyone making plarn probably has leftover skeins of yarn in the house. Why not combine the two for more color and texture and just basic visual interest. Lets go mixed media!

Finally, I'd like to end with a big shout out to Nicole Oman. She introduced plarn to my friend Susan who then shared it with me. Nicole has also taught the process to school children which I think is just wonderful. I can really see kids getting into this as a recycling project. What a fun way to teach kids to live green. When I taught crochet to my neighbors back in VA, some of them took what they learned to their girl scout troops and did projects crocheting for charity. I think plarn would make a great troop project as well. You don't even need everyone to be able to knit or crochet. Some kids can make the plarn while others work it up.

Believe it or not, I still have a few ideas left about plarn. Stay tuned! ...please :D


No comments: