Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Make Your Own Drop Spindle With CDs!

Yesterday I introduced you to Jags. She's a new customer at Wind Rose and, more importantly, a wonderful new spinner. After she received the roving she purchased from my shop, she sent me an email that really made me smile:

"My spindle hasn't shipped yet, so I found instructions on making one with cds lol So a dowel rod, 2 cds, some fast dry putty and a cup hook I stole off the cabinet and I'm spinning!"

Isn't that great!? I'm beginning to think that Jags represents everything I love about spinning! I have seen CD drop spindles before at festivals. I've seen them with painted designs and thought they were really cool. I just never thought of making my own. Yesterday Jags passed on the website she used at least in part when making her CD drop spindle. You can find the instructions at Making A CD Drop Spindle. I've perused the instructions and they look really good. They have also included some nice links.

To the right is a picture of Jag's CD drop spindle along with the one she purchased. If you would like to see more of her pictures, visit her blog Adventures Of A Fiber Addict.

I was writing on my other blog yesterday and I was talking about my philosophy on a topic. In the end I decided that my philosophy may be, "If you can't find it, create it." The more I think about it, the more I'm liking my new motto. I guess for Jags it was: If you can't wait for it to come in the mail, make one yourself!

No comments: