Monday, July 5, 2010

Jacob Swirl Girl


Okay, this may be a bit girlie. I took my freshly spun skein of Jacob Swirl yarn off of my niddy noddy and set in on the red couch in my studio. This little folk doll was sitting nearby and I had the impulse to sit her on top as though she is nesting in my yarn. I live in a house with all males, so when I do something like this, I'm particularly aware of it being feminine and therefore strange in my surroundings.

My little Jacob Swirl Girl does make me happy and I love the black and white against the red. So what am I doing? I'm spinning! Spinning, spinning and more spinning! It is the Tour de Fleece after all and today is day three.

This is my second skein of the tour. One ply is Jacob Swirl roving spun at a medium weight. Then I spun a lace weight Merino in jet black. When I plied the two, I gave the yarn a little texture by over plying. There is probably a better term for it, but the effect is a lightly textured surface. I've always liked this look and it feels soft too because you are removing a lot of the twist.

I'm sure I'll be sharing more yarns this month from the Tour de Fleece. Go Team of Wonder!

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Hooray! It looks beautiful! I just took my third hank off the niddy noddy. I have a few fiber festivals coming up soon so the Tour de Fleece is a perfect excuse to get more handspun ready for the show season.

Can't wait to see what else you produce this month!

Go Team of Wonder!

Unknown said...

I am in awe of how beautiful it turned out! And jealous of your skills, mostly jealous lol

Jenn said...

Thanks guys! I'm going to be switching to a drop spindle this weekend. I have to spin on the road to Santa Fe.

It's fun spending all this time spinning again!