Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lace Weight Jute


Last night my weaving guild held a silent auction. There were many cones of fiber as weavers tend to buy in bulk sizes. One of these cones stood out just based on sheer mass. Guess who bid on it? That's right, me! I am now the proud owner of over 11 pounds of Lace Weight Jute.

It's actually a really nice fiber. This has been spun light, about 18 wpi or a little higher. Looking at it, I starting to see the possibilities:

*It can be used as the core for corespun yarn or lock spinning. The coarse nature of the jute makes it very easy to work with. It wants to take hold of the wool.
*This is also great product for people who make primitive dolls or do folk style art.
*It makes a wonderful, natural wrapping material for your products so it's a great addition to your gift closet. Use it to tie gift tags or tie packages for an all natural look.
*This jute is perfect for making jewelry in the same way that hemp jewelry is made.
*Use this jute to bind handmade books or to embellish scrapbooks and cards.

...and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are all sorts of applications.



Jute fiber comes from the "skin of the plant, making it technically a bast fiber. It consists mostly of cellulose and lignin so it's basically a woody plant fiber. The feel is slightly more coarse, but definitely in the same arena as hemp.

What am I going to do with all of this jute? Good question! I'm going to share it with you! I'm winding it into center pull balls each weighing 2.5 ounces. They come to over 225 yards each. I'm selling them at a super low price, because I got this jute for a super low price.


I'll also keep some around the studio because I like to have fiber like this on hand. I do think it would be awesome for core spinning. It's so light that you could make a fingering or sport weight yarn. It would be so much less expensive than using other commercial yarns as a core. I also like to use natural fibers for gift wrapping, so I'm sure to add a couple skeins to my supply closet.




You can find Lace Weight Jute in Wind Rose Fiber Studio on Etsy or in My ArtFire Shop!

No comments: