Monday, May 10, 2010

Fiber Beads


I'm here with a little show and tell this Monday morning. This is my little collection of fiber beads. I played around with this concept quite a bit last week. To tell you the truth, I still haven't decided what gauge wire I think is the perfect one for these beads.

I went from coiling the wire in bulk to making the beads one at a time. If I make the coils in advance the wire I wrap over the roving is a separate piece. This means I can change to a different gauge, but I have more end pieces. If I make the beads one at a time, I can produce them with only one cut of wire, but then that wire has to be a thickness that works well for the coil as well as the outside wrapping.

I'm kind of torn about which I like better. I think I'm just going to have to make a ton of beads until I can see a clear preference emerge. This is one of those cases where having so many choices out there is making the decision more difficult. In case you happen to be experimenting too, right now I'm leaning toward 22 or 24 gauge dead soft wire. I'll be back when I've made up my mind. :D

No comments: