Monday, November 16, 2009

Ironwood Swirl ~ It's what I'm spinning!

I find myself with a little free time this Monday afternoon so I thought I'd show you what I'm spinning right now.

Over the weekend, I did some more ironwood dyeing. I experimented with how the natural dye would work simply using my regular dye method. This time I used Merino roving and even threw some Firestar into the pot. The result is the lighter shade you see in my swirl picture. It's very soft and natural looking. My first thought was that it would make an excellent skin tone people who do lifelike felting.

The darker color is from my first ironwood dye batch. That time I used BFL and let it soak for a long time.

For my yarn, I'm making a striping single alternating between the two colors and using shorter lengths of the Firestar that I also dyed in the ironwood, to join the colors; dark, sparkle, light, sparkle, dark, sparkle.... and so on. I only have 50 yards or so done, but I can tell it's going to be pretty. I'll be sure to post pictures of the yarn when it is complete.

No comments: