Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blogging From Asheville, NC

Greetings from Asheville! Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I didn't blog. There were just too many little things to do before traveling. Even though I have never lived in NC, I'm surrounded by the familiar, the dense vegetation, the curving roads, and the faster east coast pace. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I'll get some time to venture out and see the town.

On the plane I made another spiral baby beanie and I'm about ready to write out the directions. I also had a lot of fun playing with my new travel toy. It's a drop spindle shaped like a niddy noddy. I paid a wopping $8.50.......

..........I gave up on this post last night, but I'm back now. You see, I'm typing this on my husband's new acer. It's a tiny little laptop and very cool for travel. Seriously, it's like 7"X10" and weighs about 2 pounds. The problem is that the keyboard is smaller and my fingers keep pushing the wrong buttons. The muscle memory is just too powerful. I actually hit a wrong key last night and it began writing in Japanese!

Today I gave my sister and brother-in-law the Baby Cozy I made for them. You know, the one from our crochet-along? Well they seemed really pleased. I also gave them the matching hat, and the spiral beanie I made on the plane and one of my Baby's First Christmas hats. I held my breath as they pulled off the tissue. As much as I love giving handmade, I always have this moment of "What if they don't like it?" I was starting to second guess my color choices and other little things. So I'm relieved and happy to report that they liked their gifts. I told them about our crochet along and how it felt even more special to be sharing the process with people. I hope your cozies will be happily received as well!

So I was talking about my travel drop spindle before. I was looking on line to try to find a link for you and I can't find where I bought it. I thought it was Halycon Yarn, but it wasn't there. I'll have to look for my packing slip when I get home. Anyway, it really is cool. Just imagine a tiny niddy noddy, I'm guessing 24". The center staff comes up through the top and has a hook. The reason I bought it is because you can spin a single on it and then wash and warp it right on the built in niddy noddy. You could spin yarn and then make something out of it while on a vacation. I'm going to try to spin enough yarn to make one more baby hat while I'm here in Asheville. I just think it would be fun to try. I'm taking pictures with my iPhone, so they won't be great, but I'll have something to share with you when I get back.

Well back to spinning. See you soon!

No comments: