Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kathleen's Beaded Yarn


                                                                                         So I've mentioned the yarn I''m making for my Mother-in-law, Kathleen, a couple times.  I thought you might like to see a couple pictures. This is a dye-free yarn made from Merino Roving and I plan to put touches of Firestar throughout.  The Firestar is the smaller, whiter fiber to the right.  It's a nylon that has a lot of luster.  I want the yarn to have a little shimmer to it without going over the top.  The beads are multi-faceted glass and play nicely off the light. I included a picture of the beads strung onto slivers of the Merino roving.  They are now ready to be spun right into the yarn.  I will randomly space them and anchor them in place as I go.  I haven't asked her yet, but If I know Kathleen, she'll probably want a DK weight or no more than worsted.   I'll spin it as a single.  I've tried 2ply before, but the beads tend to look less showy.  The only thing you have to be a little more careful about with a single is setting the twist.  I also stay away from any beads that are too big and heavy.  Generally I go with 4 to 6mm.  So anyway, all the elements are ready and waiting.  Now I just have to find a little time to spin. 

No comments: