Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tower of Yarn ~ Knit Happens


I'm just back from my first visit to Knit Happens in Scottsdale, Arizona. I've been meaning to check out this shop out for a long time. Today, with my knitting mom visiting from Virginia, we decided to take a field trip.

Knit Happens is a beautiful shop and so nicely organized. When you walk in, the first thing you see is a long table where knitters sit contently with their projects. I love that. I think a good yarn shop should make you want to sit and stay for a while.

My mom and I had specific yarn needs in mind, but first can I just say that I have never seen a larger selection of Noro yarns in one place ever?! Who doesn't love Noro?

The staff was very helpful, and my mom quickly found a yarn to suit her project. I had a great time too. Since it's more fun to have a project in mind when you go yarn shopping, I decided to buy the yarn I will need for a Bruges Lace project I have planned. My pattern calls for around 1500 yards of fine sport weight yarn. I guess I should add that its a shawl. That's why so much yardage.


I ended up picking out this Tapping Tootsees yarn from Done Roving Yarns in the color Cardinals In The Pine. The colors are gorgeous and it's made of 60% superwash Merino, 30% bamboo (thus the shine) and 10% nylon. Each 4oz skein contains 434 yards. I think it will be very nice.

Then I couldn't resist buying a couple bulky yarns. You know I like to play with my oversized tatting, so I couldn't resist these yummy, chubby yarns.

The one on the bottom of my yarn tower is made by Riviera in color 502. It's soft and bouncy and I love the colors. Then I wanted to get some blue for a piece of wall art I have planned. For this I chose the Cornflower skeins in the middle of my tower. This gorgeous 98% Merino, 2% polyamide was spun in Peru by Mirasol.

Yarn shopping is so fun. I couldn't wait to get home and wind my skeins. Now I can't wait to play with them!

No comments: