Sunday, April 10, 2011

Summer Cotton Crocheted Bracelet


The first thing I did this morning was go into my studio and crochet this bracelet. I've had this design in my head since my vacation to Virgin Gorda a few weeks ago. While I was on the island, I saw a bracelet in a little beach shop that was simple, but cute. I took a couple mental notes because I knew right away that I wanted to come home and put my own spin on it.

Ever since I was a teenager, I have loved what I think of as summer jewelry. You know, those great hemp and cotton bracelets or necklaces that you tie on and just wear until they fall apart. Whether they're knotted or braided, plain or beaded, they just seem to be a part of the summer season. I used to gauge how tan I was by shifting my bracelet and seeing how fair my skin remained beneath.


The bracelet I saw in Virgin Gorda was actually leather with plain leather straps made to look like a group of bangles. I do love that bangle look, but what really caught my eye was that each end was crocheted. Now I have to admit that there was a time when I probably would have had some difficulty figuring out how to make this bracelet especially in one continuous piece. Now, having made and designed Miser's Purses, I knew almost without thinking how I could create a multiple chained bracelet in one unbroken piece. Maybe it's silly, but I have this thing about having as few knots or joins as possible in anything I make. I just think it improves the integrity and strength of the finished product.

In the end, its just a simple cotton bracelet. It could be made in all sorts of colors. It could have charms instead of beads or no beads at all. It's the kind of piece that's fun to make because you can change it up a little every time. I think I will always love wearing unassuming pieces of jewelry like this and I know they will always make me think of summer.


I'm thinking of writing this pattern up to share here on my blog. As pattern writing is always a bit of work, I like to check first to see if anyone out there is interested. So if you would like me to write this pattern, leave a comment on this post. I don't need a lot of encouragement. Just a little. :D

6 comments:

Mona said...

Hi Jenn,
I would love the pattern to this! I, too, have always loved 'summer jewelry.' Thanks! ~ Mona

Kayleigh said...

I love the idea that it's one piece. I too like to have as little knots as possible. Knots slip, they're bulky, and it looks better as a whole when it's all one piece. Please write it :) It would be great for all those short yards of my home spun stuff!

Dragonfly Meadow Crochet said...

I love the bracelet! I definitely agree about having as few joins as possible. Besides, it's just more ends to sew in, and who wants to do that? I've actually been really getting into beaded crochet jewelry lately, and this is exactly the sort of thing I've been doing, so I'd love to see the pattern for it. I really appreciate you just sharing the bracelet, though. I've been enjoying the jewelry I'm making, and getting lots of compliments on it, but I still worry that it might not be "grown up" enough or fancy enough. It's good to have a reminder that there's a place for more casual jewelry too.

Jenn said...

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I'll be happy to write up my pattern. It's nice to know that a few people out there will like to have it.

Amii ~ Sometimes I look at my own collection and think, "This does not look like a grown woman's jewelry box." *giggle* Everything is handmade either by me, my friends or purchased at art shows, but I love my jewelry. I feel a personal connection to every piece. The only "fine" jewelry I own are my wedding rings.

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful piece with so many outcome opportunities It also looks fun. Yes please, I would like the pattern. And Thank you :)
JANIE

Unknown said...

Nice