Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Longstitch Express - A High-Speed Crochet Pattern

I'm supposed to be working on a tatting pattern.  That's what I said I was going to do, but instead I took a little detour on The Longstitch Express!

I was having one of those afternoons in which I felt like making something, but I didn't want to have to concentrate hard or spend all day.  Quick and easy is what my mind demanded and as a result, I started thinking about long stitches.  Before I knew it, a pattern was starting to form in my head and I grabbed a nice big hook and a skein of yarn.  Within a few minutes, The Longstitch Express pattern was born!

 I love having a high-speed pattern for those times when your hands just want something to do and this one is perfect for showcasing pretty yarns.  The top photograph is Fiesta Starburst La Boheme.  It's a sparkling blend of brushed mohair, wool, rayon and nylon.  It's soft and airy and the longstitch shows off the beautifully contrasting colors.  The second scarf pictured is made with some of my own handspun yarn.  This is a light worsted weight singles spun from mixed Blufaced Leicester and dyed in shades of crimson, cherry and green.  I think this pattern would also be fun in thick & thin or novelty yarn.  

Whether you like to crochet for charity, whip up quick gifts or just crochet for fun, I think you're going to love this pattern.  The long chains created by the lengthy stitches give it a laid-back, deconstructed look.  The pattern creates a scarf that is over six feet, but you can make it longer if you like to wrap your scarves around your neck two or three times.  It can easily go from being a light accessory to a cozy bundle of warmth.

The pattern is already listed on Etsy and Ravelry and available for instant download.  The next time you're in the mood for a fast and fun project, I highly recommend taking a ride on The Longstitch Express! 


No comments: