Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Craft Show Discoveries ~ Part II


I'm back with Part II on my series of recent Craft Show Discoveries. Today it's all about glass work. I love it when talented people make their own, one-of-a-kind beads, so it's only natural that I was drawn to the booth of Rita Schneck Designs.

The large, round pendants caught my eye first. They're bold and geometric without being too structured. To me they seem to be almost alive, like watching a cell expand under a microscope. Is that a strange analogy? Perhaps, but I'm not sure how to put it into words. They just feel like they have a natural energy all their own.

I chose a black and clear pendant which has been embellished with earthy tones. She had a lot of colors to choose from which made the decision all the more challenging.

After agonizing over the round pendants, I turned my attention to the second style she had on display. This is the oblong pendant with the beads and wire. Once again, she had an incredible variety of colors and designs. I spent a painful amount of time choosing one to bring home. I hope it's not too boring that I lean towards black. I just know that I will have much with which to wear them.

As a fiber woman, I don't have enough knowledge of glass to talk about technique or the specifics of how these were made. All I can say is that when I see glass like this, it makes me want to learn how to make it myself. Maybe when an expanse of time becomes available, I'll take a class and experience working with glass first hand. I would love that!

Inexplicably, the style of jewelry that I have featured here, is not on her website. However, she does have her upcoming shows listed in her shop announcements. If you are lucky enough to live nearby, the jewelry of Rita Schneck Designs is beautiful and well worth a visit!

No comments: