Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm Still Here

I have to write a little something tonight lest you come to think I have disappeared utterly from the blogosphere. I also need to affirm for myself that I am still capable of stringing thoughts together and convincing my fingers to push the right buttons on this keypad. I'm sorry to have been away for so long. Where have I been? I was all over the state of Virginia!

At least once a year since moving to Arizona, my husband and I pack up the kids and fly back to our home state for some face time with family and friends. These trips are delightful and exhausting blurs in which we try to fit months of bonding with our loved ones into just a few hours.

In eight days we visited nine households in six different towns stretching from Yorktown to Loudoun County. In addition to that, we spent our evenings out, meeting up with as many friends as we possibly could. For this one week we are beyond social butterflies. We are a friendly rabble of four. Our limited downtime is spent with cell phones out, setting up our next engagement.

Sitting here in my old desk chair, at the end of my first day back home, I'm still adjusting. I've spent a good part of my day catching up on work at Wind Rose Fiber Studio. I've packed up orders and made one big trip to the post office. I've sent a dozen emails to all who were owed one. I've done those practical home again things like watering the plants and restocking the fridge. I paused for a few minutes and sat on my favorite perch (the end of our diving board) and said hello to the sun. I actually cooked dinner with my own two hands rather than ordering off a menu. Still, I don't feel quite acclimated. Perhaps after one more good night's sleep I'll feel certainly home.

No comments: