Sunday, October 30, 2011

Meet Hugo the Sock Monkey


Today I'm very proud to introduce Hugo! Hugo is the first sock monkey I've ever made. I made him out of a pair of Hugo Boss socks so that's how he got his name.

Typically, I don't spend much time with my sewing machine, but I'm always on the lookout for a service project that I can do with my kids. Craft Hope is one of my favorite groups. If you're someone who loves to craft and to help others, than Craft Hope provides opportunities to do just that.

Project 15: Sock Monkeys for Texas is the inspiration for Hugo. Craft hope is collecting handmade sock monkeys for the victims of the Texas wildfires. I asked my son to imagine losing all of his toys. This is a stirring idea for kids and one that naturally sparks empathy. My son was ready to help in an instant.

I'll be honest. I'm not all that confident in my sewing abilities, so I bought a sock monkey kit. Even with the kit in hand, I also purchased a pair of socks on which to practice. I had no idea how my first sock monkey would turn out. The instructions that came with the kit seemed good and made sense to me, but I always like a little visual courage. I found a Rockin' Sock Monkey Tutorial that provided just that.

Hugo turned out pretty cute and I'm ready to make him a bunch of friends. I'll do the sewing and my son can turn the pieces right side out and stuff them. Together we can help put some smiles on the faces of kids who lost nearly everything this year. That's a great feeling!

2 comments:

WrethaOffGrid said...

That is soooo sweet! Both the sock monkey and your wanting to help. I live in one of the areas in west Texas that has been really hit hard by the wildfires, while I don't personally know any of the families (in my local area) that were hit and lost everything, there are still scars from the fire near where I live. Thank you so much for your sympathy and the willingness to do something.

Oh, are you still working on the mini muk-luk videos? Thanks!!!!

Wretha

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Jenn--What a wonderful project to tackle with your son! You are teaching him sewing skills AND all about living a compassionate life.
You rock, Mama! XXO-