Friday, October 9, 2009

The International Balloon Festival


I took almost 200 pictures today at The International Balloon Festival in Albuquerque, NM. Maybe this one is a silly choice for this post, but it's just so happy! I'll let all the other attendees post their spectacular shots of balloon filled sky.

I've seen other people's pictures from this event and have looked at them in wonder. Even so, I think this is one of those events where you just have to be there to get the full effect. I and my family stood in the middle of a field while balloons of all shapes and descriptions inflated around us. There were times when we actually had to skitter out of the way of a launching balloon along with our fellow audience members. We all let out a cheer and clapped as each new balloon inflated and made its way into the sky.

Later in the morning we spent some time in Old Town Albuquerque. I searched in vain for some interesting examples of fiber work. I'm sad to say, that most of what I encountered were imports that have come to look generic to me. I hope that's not being grossly unfair. I kept heading into stores with words like Peruvian and Weave in their shop names, only to be disappointed. I'm sure there is wonderful work out there, but today I looked in the wrong place. I'm hoping I'll encounter something to share as I spend the next few days in and around Santa Fe.

No comments: