Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tatting Class 5 ~ I'm Going Knotless!



That's right, knotless. There's not one knot in this whole piece! That's what lesson 5 in my Learn to Tat book was all about.

I started this exercise kind of late one evening. I chose a sport weight cotton mainly to be kind to my eyes. At about 9:00, my contacts want to call it a day and my glasses and I don't have a very good working relationship.

I feel I can say, once and for all, that shuttle tatting with Dk or sport weight cotton is ridiculous. Shuttles were just not made for such fat yarn. On the other hand, doing this exercise with a heavier weight fiber made for some good practice. I couldn't fit very much yarn on the shuttle which forced me to reload about five or six times. I now feel fully rehearsed in thread joins.

This piece is the Easy Bookmark pattern that the book provides. I decided to make it a little shorter and I may even sew on a clasp so I can wear it like a colorful cuff bracelet. I want to bond with my tatting.

The next lesson will have me tatting with two shuttles at once. Great googly moogly!

4 comments:

Ksenia GypSee Art said...

Your progress absolutely amazes me and I am afraid I'll end up starting yet another hobby. Keep it up!

Mimi Crichton Hollar said...

I think it would make a great bracelet...what size is sport weight cotton???

Jenn said...

This cotton was sized like yarn, so it was comparable to a sport or a DK. I do think it's a good weight for bracelets and pendants, but it will be easier to use when I get into needle tatting.

Jenn said...

By the way...

Thanks so much to those who have given me encouraging comments. It really does motivate me to keep moving forward and to learn as much as I can!