Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hair Jewelry


This is about as close as I get to putting pictures of myself on my blog. *giggle* For the last couple weeks, I've been playing around making hair jewelry.

I have long hair, but I'm not a pony tail girl. I don't even like hair clips really, but I've always liked hair jewelry. When I was younger, I sometimes took sections of my hair and wrapped them in string or ribbon. Of course that's a good way to end up with tangled, damaged hair.

Then a couple weeks ago, I was at a Native American pow wow and got inspired. Some of the women were selling hair clips with beads dangling from one end. I bought a pair and then later chastised myself for the purchase. I know I'll never wear them no matter how cute they are because I'm just not a hair clip person.

Then I got to thinking. What I really liked about the clips was the beadwork, so why not attach beads to something I will wear. So I bought some medium hair elastics and did some bead stringing of my own.



Now I realize I just made pony tail holders and they could be used for braids or pony tails, but I like to wear them wrapped around a section of my hair just behind the ear. They get to hang down loose and free just like the rest of my hair. It's a subtle bit of bling or as I like to call it, hair jewelry.

I guess it's sort of a bohemian look, but that's kind of my style. Neither me nor my hair shall be bound by social conventions. Some pretty sparkling beads on the other hand, well... that's okay.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Love it! Your pendant is beautiful too. Nice job on the 'ropes'

Linda said...

Do you sell this hair jewelry? If so, I would love to make a purchase.

Jenn said...

I'm afraid I don't sell them, but they were easy to make. Basic beading magazines offer all of the skills you need to make your own. Since making these two, I have thought it would be nice to make them on a lobster clasp so it could continue to be used even if the hair band wore out. I would also recommend to keep weight in mind. The weight of beads can add up quickly. Fabric beads make nice accents.