Monday, April 22, 2019

The Early Bird is The Tired Bird

I just had a shot of my favorite cold brew, so hopefully I'm good to go. 

I am on Day 1 of waking up early.  When I say early, I mean the 4 o'clock hour. I don't know if this is a trending thing, but I blame, um, I mean, I give credit to WheezyWaiter for this little adventure.  I follow him on YouTube and last week he shared his experience with shifting to an early to bed, early to rise schedule. If you're curious:


This is one of those videos that stuck with me.  To say I value time, especially creative time, is probably an understatement.  I often feel frustrated when my creative energy runs out, but the night is still young.  I end up watching a couple hours of TV because who goes to bed at 8pm?  

So I tried it.  I slept with my Apple watch on and a 4:30 alarm set to vibrate. It actually took 12 minutes of vibration before I woke up, but I was trying to spare my husband an early morning alarm.  I'm sensitive like that. :)

I usually wake up around 6am, so this didn't feel like that much extra time.  Determined to make the most of it, I went for a sunrise run, listened to my current audio book, Creative Quest by Questlove and I killed a few zombies (PvZ 2). Now, at 3:12 in the afternoon, I am feeling the sleepies, but I am determined to push through.  I know it's going to take a few nights to fully transition.

I think I am going to switch my wake-up time to 4am.  I want just a little more am.  I'm hoping I'll have an easier time getting to sleep tonight.  Last night I tossed and turned which is adding to today's roughness. 

This may be a crazy, short lived experiment, but I can't resist giving it a go.  I would much rather spend two hours in the early morning being creative, running, or just generally doing stuff than that same amount of time laying in front of the TV.  I wonder how I'll feel a few days from now?   

No comments: