Monday, October 14, 2013

Spinzilla 2013 ~ Days 6 & 7

We have crossed the Spinzilla finish line.  My final tally for the week:  3,136 yards!

I am ready to spend a day doing something other than spinning, but I had a great week.  These events are so awesome because they remind me that there is an amazing community of spinners.  It's easy to lose sight of that when you are the only one in your neighborhood with a wheel.

Just to recap the last two days, on day 6 I finished up my thick & thin Boots & Jeans.  Then, because I had so much fun spinning that, I spun some more thick & thin using Merino rolags and South African top as my ply.  It all made for a relaxing day.


On the final day I decided I would finally spin my remaining mountain of German milk sheep wool, all 21.7 ounces of it!  I spun and spun and spun, and I swear it wasn't until the end of the day that the pile finally started to look smaller.  I spent the last couple hours of Spinzilla spinning like a maniac trying to get it done.  In the end, I finished all but about an ounce.  I had to stop and weigh my spool for my official Spinzilla count.  Then I put the spool back on and spun the rest of that wool!  It felt so good to finally spin what was originally 36 oz of fiber!

What a week!  I feel like I learned a couple things about my spinning self.  First, I am not a production spinner.  I am a spin for fun kind of girl.  Second, I have a love/hate relationship with competition.  I love that it motivates me to do more than I would ever normally do.  I hate that it makes me worry that I am not doing enough and the fear that I may let my team down.  Would I do it again?  Yes, I think so.  It was fun to submerge into my own world for a week.  It's an indulgence that I don't typically allow myself.  Some women go to the spa, but as for me, I'll take a week of fiber arts!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Spinzilla sounds awesome you look like you've had an amazing time and what gorgeous yarn you've made!

Wendy said...

wow what an achievement, well done!

Unknown said...

How can I get involved in spinning, looks so interesting and fun?

Jenn said...

Hi Maryann,

Many people get their start with a drop spindle kit. I sell one in my shop if you want to check it out. (copy and paste link below) I also started a group called Spinning and Dyeing on Facebook where you can see what other spinners are doing and ask questions. There are over 1,000 members with new people joining daily.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180809397/drop-spindle-kit-learn-to-spin-easy-to?ref=shop_home_active_4