Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Living Van Gogh



Well, hello! I'm sorry to have disappeared for so long. I'm in Europe right now and though I have plenty to blog about, I haven't been very good about blogging. Part of the reason for this is that I go through periods without internet access. The other, more common reason is that I'm so drained by the end of each day, I just can't string words together. I'm going to try to make up for this a little tonight before I head south to Uberlingen, Germany where again, I may not be able to hook up to the internet.

I have tons of pictures to share, but I'm warming myself back up with a little post about this Van Gogh exhibit I saw in the works in downtown London. 'A Wheatfield, with Cypresses', painted by Van Gogh in 1889, is being brought to life. 8,000 potted plants in 26 varieties are being used to create this work of art on the west wall of the National Gallery facing Trafalgar Square. All of the plants were carefully chosen to match the colors in the painting.

They will be planting throughout the summer to complete the piece and then it will be on display until the end of October. What they have completed so far is striking. I wish I could be there to see it when it's finished. I love how the different heights of the plants add depth and texture. I keep looking back and forth between the painting and the plants. It's so impressive. I think this exhibition will be a wonderful, living tribute to an amazing artist.

No comments: